Thank you for your interest in the Sewanee School of Letters. The School offers the MA degree in English and American Literature and the MFA in Creative Writing. These two programs may be completed in five summers, or four if you write your thesis from home. To apply to the Literature or Creative Writing program, please download the application materials from this web site or contact the Sewanee School of Letters office and ask that an application packet be sent to you via the U.S. Postal Service. The various application materials, once filled in and completed, should be returned to the office of the Sewanee School of Letters, to the address below. The checklist below will help you determine the forms and enclosures expected. Alternatively, you may submit an online application form.
New this year, in collaboration with the University’s School of Theology, we offer the Master of Arts in Theology in Literature. The Literature/Theology program is designed to be completed in a single academic year bracketed by two summers. To apply to the Literature and Theology program, please visit the School of Theology’s web site [http://theology.sewanee.edu/admissions/apply-now] or call the School of Theology at 931.598.1283.
We will begin admitting the 2013 entering class at the end of January and will continue to accept applications until the entering class fills. The 2013 session will run from June 9 - July 19.
1. APPLICATION FORM. Please download and fill in our application below and submit it by email, or print and return the pdf by mail. Or you may fill in and submit an online application form. Be certain to fill in every section, including the personal statement on the second page expressing why you wish to attend the Sewanee School of Letters. Please note that admission decisions are made without regard to financial need; the question concerning aid lets us know whether to ask the University’s financial aid officer to send you information about forms to file.
2. WRITING SAMPLE. For applicants to the MFA program, the writing sample should include 8 to 10 pages of poems or 15 to 25 pages of fiction or creative nonfiction. For applicants to the MA program, it should include 15 to 25 pages of critical prose, from one or more essays.
3. APPLICATION FEE. Please enclose a check or money order in the amount of $40.00 made payable to the University of the South.
4. TWO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION, each in an envelope sealed and signed by recommender. These recommenders should be former professors or other persons able to evaluate your potential for graduate study.
5. OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS from all colleges and graduate schools previously attended should be sent from those institutions directly to the Sewanee School of Letters.
APPLICATION FORM Word
RECOMMENDATION FORM Word
APPLICATION FORM pdf